Personal Information

Students who wish to change their name must submit a completed  “Change of Name Form” to the Office of the Registrar with appropriate support documentation as noted below. 

The policy regarding name changes is as follows:    

Students’ records are maintained in the name given by the student on the Application for Admission form.  It is important that all official records compiled at the University are consistent.

Students may change their names by submitting a name change request form with the Campus Registrar.  This form also serves as an affidavit that the new name will be used without the intent to defraud or commit criminal activity.

Some internal records, such as microfilm and microfiche, cannot be changed, and the University is not responsible for the use of different names on this type of record.  The Campus Registrar will change all other records.

Students are responsible for supplying the University with correct information.  The University is not responsible for delays or errors resulting from incorrect information provided by the student.

The University requires that students use only one name at a time.  A fee will be charged if a new diploma or I.D. card is issued, or if any other unusual expense is required to change the name.

The Registrar requires additional supporting evidence that the new name is being used on other official documents, i.e., driver’s license, voter registration, marriage license, bank documents, court order, social security card, etc.

 A “Change of Name” form must be submitted to change the name on University records.     

Names changes cannot be completed until the student has presented TWO forms of documentation with the “Change of Name” form as follows:

  • Driver’s license
  • voter registration card
  • marriage license
  • passport
  • court order
  • social security card
  • Permanent Resident Card

At least ONE form of government issued photo ID MUST be submitted with the “Change of Name” form.  The following are acceptable photo ID’s:

  • Current Driver’s License
  • Valid Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • State/Federal Picture ID


Students who are currently enrolled at Rutgers can change their address online by going to the Rutgers Personal Information Page and logging in using their NetID and password.   Students may also change their address by going in person to the Registrar’s Office.   Current students must provide their Student ID Card (RUConnect Card) when changing their address in person.  Students who are not currently enrolled may use the electronically signed Docu-Form process here which will be submitted to the Registrar's Office for entry: Not Currently Enrolled Student Address Change.   This process may take a couple of days to be reflected in the various systems.

New Jersey Residency determines tuition rates for students attending Rutgers University.    Non-residents of the state are charged an additional tuition rate.   Normally, students must have their permanent residence in New Jersey for a minimum of one year prior to the start of the term in order to qualify for in-state tuition rates.   The full policy and instructions for determining residency may be found at the Rutgers University Policy Statement on Student Residency for Tuition Purposes

Residency is determined at the time of admission to the university.  If students have a change of residency after they have started their attendance, they may file a Residency Analysis Form to change their status from out of state to in-state. 

There is a special category of students under the new Dream Act for Eligible New Jersey High School Graduates involving students whose federal residency status is in question.   These students may qualify for in-state tuition upon filling out the Non-Resident Rutgers Tuition Exemption Form.   Please note that this form should be returned to the Rutgers University – Camden Registrar for Camden students, and not to the New Brunswick office.   That address is listed at the bottom of this page.