Frequently Asked Questions
Grades and Grading
- There is a “W” on my transcript and what does it mean?
- A "W" grade means that you withdrew from a course. A "W" grade does not affect your GPA.
- If I retake a class in which I received a “W” and earn a letter grade, will the “W” be removed?
- The "W" will not be removed.
- I have a question about the status of a grade change.
- Please check with your instructor and your online transcript at http://transcripts.rutgers.edu/transcripts/index.html. If your instructor has informed you that the grade has been changed and you do not see the change reflected on your online transcript, please call the Office of the Registrar at 856-225-6053.
- How can I have an Incomplete changed to a letter grade?
- After completing your course work your professor will submit a grade change.
- Does the university mail grades?
- How do I appeal a final grade?
- The classroom, studio, or laboratory instructor has the responsibility for assignment of grades. Complaints about a grade must be directed to the instructor, in writing, within 10 working days of its assignment. Disputes unresolved at this level are referred, in writing, to the appropriate departmental chair. Complaints remaining unresolved at this level should be directed, in writing, to the dean of the appropriate college.